Friday, November 11, 2011

Substitutions ~ Soy Free

Now I know this topic can step on a few feet.  People love soy.  I know I love my soy sauce on my rice.  YUM!  People also love it as a substitution for so many things when they have allergies.  But I have to lay it all out straight for ya.  Soy is bad.  REALLY bad.  Especially in our country.  Our soy verses soy in other countries is radically different food.  Monsanto has genetically modified it into a monster.  It is almost impossible to buy non-GMO soy.  (or grow it!)  Now I know this is where I am supposed to cite all my fabulous resources.  But I won't.  I think that this is so important that I want to you research it and see what I mean.  Take ownership of your knowledge.  Or simply trust me on this.  So the bottom line is that I guess I am not really anti-soy, but the GMO soy has GOT TO GO!!!!

One thing soy can do that bothers me most is it mimics "female" hormones... it can bring early onset puberty in girls and reduce testorone in boys.  In otherwords, it messes up kids growth and hormone levels.

So with all that being said, what do you use for your Asian inspired dishes calling for soy sauce?


.
Soy Sauce Substitute
3 cups water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp minced garlic

What are your thoughts on soy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment