Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let's Try a little of This and a little of That.....

Having kids with allergies, there are a few things we just don't use.  One that I greatly miss is Worcestershire Sauce.  (I love saying it.  Fast.  Three times.  Try it!)  

We can't have it, due to the fact it has corn in it.  Now, when a recipe calls for the yummy stuff, I usually just add (throw) in a few ingredients that are on a label of Worcestershire sauce into my dish I am making and call it good.  


Well, I got daring this week and made an actual batch of Worcestershire sauce to keep in my fridge, and I would say it was successful.  It isn't exactly the same, but close enough and I thought it tasted pretty yummy.  AND now I don't have to try and add ingredients one at a time to a recipe when I am cooking.  I can now just pull out my jar, shake and add.  YEAH!

As I have mentioned before, I am a horrible recipe follower.  I just kinda grab, pour or shake into my hand and add.  I really was proud that I measured as I made this so I could reproduce it and share it with all you mamas who have allergy kids.  Here it is.  Feel free to adjust to your taste buds. 

Start with a clean glass jar with a lid.  I just used a pizza sauce jar and lid that I had washed out and saved.

1 cup Apple Cider vinegar
2 TBSP molasses
1 TBSP dark brown sugar
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp garlic powder (we like garlic, a lot!)
1/2 tsp chili powder (again, adjust to your taste, feel free to start small and get big for bold taste)
1/4 tsp to 1 tsp turmeric (adjust to your taste preference)
1/4 tsp dry mustard 
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ginger (adjust to your taste preference)
1/8 tsp clove

There are two ways to make this:
1.) Add ingredients together in the glass jar and shake.  Put in fridge. (This is my quick way when I have NOT made it ahead of time, which is often.)
2.) Add ingredients together in a small sauce pan on the stove.  Bring to a gentle rolling boil, turn down and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Let cool, pour into glass jar and store in fridge. (This is the way for all you prepared and do ahead kinda people.)


This will keep for two weeks.

Optional ingredients:
**You can add water to "thin" the taste, about 2-4 tsp.
**Feel free to add anchovies or anchovy paste.  We don't eat it, so I didn't add it.  I would guess about 1 tsp.???? 
**We don't use pepper, it is high oxalate, but feel free to add 1/4 tsp. pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment