Friday, June 17, 2011

Have Bread... Will Travel recipes~ Part 1

As I shared earlier, I have kiddos with food allergies, and that can make packing food for a trip challenging at best.  I shared with you how I did a trial canning bread.  Well, I thought that perhaps a RECIPE for the bread might come in handy.

Here is my recipe for Pumpkin Bread.  Funny how is came about.  My good friend (Miss k.) whom I have mentioned is one the the best cooks I know, gave me a banana bread recipe (I can hear what you are thinking 'I thought this was about pumpkin bread?!?!?') and I adapted to make it gluten free/allergen free and then into a pumpkin bread recipe.  Now every time I make it, it is slightly different.  That is just how I cook, but this is the recipe I tend to loosely follow.

Pumpkin Bread

Preheat oven to 400 (NOT 350) temperature is important.  Too low and the bread collapses.

I do not grease my pans, I use stoneware.  I do however dust with cinnamon.  You may want to use Coconut oil or Palm Shortening to grease other types of pans.  I almost always do mini loaves.

As the oven preheats (again, important it is at 400 when putting bread in oven) mix up the following ingredients.

1 cup turbinado sugar
1 1/2 tsp gargum **
1 stick butter (we use Earth Balance Soy Free)
2 eggs or use egg replacer (I like Ener G Egg Replacer~ follow directions on box)
1 1/3 cup flour***
pinch of sea salt (I don't use table salt at all~ most have additives and/or wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda (I use Bob's Red Mill Aluminum Free Baking Soda)
1 tsp. baking powder (I use Hain Pure Food Baking Powder~gluten and and corn free)
1 can of organic pumpkin puree

spices: ****
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp clove
and a little allspice

 Now most people have a neat and tidy, organized way to add ingredients.  I tend to just add and mix.  For this recipe, I mix everything together and add the baking powder and soda last.  That way it doesn't start to react and rise before I can get it in the pan.  Gluten free cooking is a little trickier with the rise.

Cook for 55 minutes for a loaf and about 40 minutes for 4 minature loaves.

Notes: 
**We don't use Xanthum Gum because it is grown in corn and we are really allergic to corn
*** I prefer Bette Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix for this, but I have also used her basic Gluten-Free mix and Featherlight Rice Mix, it does change the taste a bit.  We can't use Jules flour mixes because of some of the ingredients they use, but I assume those would work as well.  Bette Hagman has awesome cookbooks and hers were some of the first I ever used on this journey.  I highly recommend the books and her flour mix recipes.
**** As I noted before, I use only Trader Joe's spices or McCormick because they are "clean."  Always double check, as ingredients do change.

No comments:

Post a Comment