Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lilies of the Valley








It may seem excessive to post so many pictures of these delicate, tiny, fragrant flowers, but I just love them!

At our first home, I tried (unsuccessfully) to grow them for 7 years.  At our new home I have been trying for a couple years to at first find them to grow; and then I spent a few years trying to grow them.  This is my first year the they have really grown!  I was so overjoyed to see them growing and spreading.  The added bonus was the blooms this year!  I promptly picked the blossoms to bring inside to savor them. (Spring around here was rainy and cold)

One of my fondest memories is walking by my grandmother and grandfather's garage and smelling these flowers in full bloom.  I remember playing on their patio and looking at these beautiful flowers in all their glory. But the best part of these flowers, was knowing that I was at my grandparents' home, and knowing how much and how deeply they loved me.  I think they set a wonderful example of Jesus like love for me and these flowers remind me of them and of their deep and bountiful love for me.  

As I was sitting and thinking upon these things, my mind wandered to what the Bible says about these fragrant beauties.  Here are some verses I found:

Matthew 6:28-30 (New American Standard Bible)

28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

 Song of Solomon 2:2As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters

Song of Solomon 6:2My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies.

Song of Solomon 2:1 I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

 

It is wonderful to know that God can gift us something as simple and complex as a flower to bless us, recharge our soul, and help us feel His loving presence. 

What is it that God is using to speak to you, renew you, and/or bless you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment