Friday, February 24, 2012

Apple Crisp

I am hungry for apple crisp.  I can taste the juicy, tangy, soft apple, with the crunchy, sweet topping.  YUM!  But I don't have any apples, but I can share my recipe!

We eat this almost daily in the fall with all the good apples that have just ripened.  I try to eat this recipe seasonally when apples are cheap and I can pick up bird-pecked apples for 50 cents a pound.  I might just have to cave and got to the store so I can make it tonight.  Or not, I think we got a few hockey games to go to.

Enjoy!

Apple Crisp
4 cups of apples (cored, peeled and sliced thin)
1 tsp. cinnamon
½  tsp. sea salt
½ cup Bob’s Red Mill steel cut or rolled oats
½ cup Earth Balance Soy Free Butter
¾  cup GF flour mix (not a bean mix)
½ cup evaporated cane sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. guar gum

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1.) In a large bowl, melt butter and add oats, combine the two.  Let the mixture  sit for 5-10 minutes. 
2.)While the oats are resting, toss the peeled and cored apples with the cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl.  Put the tossed apples in a 9x9 pan.
3.) Add remaining ingredients to the resting oats and mix well.  It should be a damp, crumbly consistency.
4.) Cover the top of the apples with the topping.
5.) Bake for 40-45 minutes.  Test by inserting a knife into the center, the apples should be soft.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment