Sometimes when you are allergen free, you hear a recipe and just drool over its description. There was this great recipe on All Recipe a good friend recommended. My first thought was, "OH BOY! the guys would just devour those." So I set out on a quest to recreate them.
My first challenge was to find a cracker. I settled on this recipe from my friend Michelle's Blog. If you can do the ingredients, I recommend these crackers.
Saltine Toffee Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter (Earth Balance Soy Free Butter) (or just a little less then one cup)
1 cup dark brown sugar (I prefer organic)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (make sure they are gluten free, I didn't use any nuts and they were still yummy!)
Directions (taken from All Recipes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer. Its ok if they are crumbled a bit.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread sauce to cover crackers completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts.
- Cool completely and break into pieces. I set mine out in the garage to cool.