Monday, September 3, 2012

My Nemesis: AKA Lunch



I like to cook.  I like to bake.  I LOVE new recipes.  I hate, ahem, dislike planning lunches.  I have my standard fall backs, ya know... sandwiches, veggies and fruit, a hotdog (healthiest I can find), etc.  We also do a lot of leftovers for lunch (these I like!)  Since I  teach cooking classes, I thought doing a back to school cooking class would help others (and of course me!)  It went well, BUT I guess I didn't learn a thing from myself.  You see, as I was fixing lunch today, it was my standard thrown together lunch with, however, a cool addition, champange grapes.  So that's what you get for pictures.  But I'll throw in some of my notes for you.


Top eight allergen free lunch.  Bread is the 2.0 version of my standard recipe.  Watch for it people, it'll get posted soon. 

Yup, my non-allergy kid is my pickiest, go figure.  And yes, that is a yucky white hotdog bun.  But I need that kid to eat!

The yummy chocolate thing is a new recipe from Enjoy Life on the back of one of their new cereals.  It is certainly YUMMY!




Lunches

Assembled Lunches
·   Wraps (use brown rice or coconut tortillas)
Fill with:
·         Hummus
·         Left over meats from a previous meal
·         Peanut butter or alternative butter
·         Salad fillings
·          Use as a wrap or cut into pinwheels


·    Stainless Steel Hot containers (note: always heat food on a stove not microwave prior to filling container.  Also, while warming food have container sitting filled with hot water to prewarm, food will stay warmer longer)
·         Mac N’ Cheese
·         Soups
·         Chili

·   Homemade Lunchables (Get creative, but make a list.  Look at what Lunchables contain and make your own, only much healthier.  To save time make a week’s worth at once!)
·   Lunch meat (cut by small cookie cutters), cheese (regular or CF), crackers, juice, fruit/veggie
·   Ian’s breaded chicken with BBQ sauce to dip, pudding, juice box
·   Crackers/mini pizza crust, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, pepperoni, milk, fruit, treat
·   Turkey on Schar “sub” bread, applesauce, So Delicious or almond yogurt, cookie of choice
·   Ian’s breaded chicken, BBQ sauce, applesauce, Envirokids rice crispy bar, Protien2Go, water




·   Misc. Container Ideas
·   Boiled Egg, Qwackers, fruit, cheese and meat Kabobs on toothpicks
·   Egg salad on a lettuce wrap, sliced cucumber, granola, Mary’s Gone Crackers
·   Leftover (or planned) chicken wings with dipping sauce, Beanitos, applesauce, carrots
·   Pasta salad, breadsticks, dipping sauce, fruit
·    
·    


·   Mason Jar Salads
Use mason jars with lids and rings to bring a salad to school or work
            Ideas for filling  them: Start with your lettuce of choice… romaine, spinach, kale and top with
·   strawberries, feta or goat cheese (or non dairy cheese), pecans with dressing
·   diced green apple, cranberries, walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette
·   Try a Cobb salad– diced egg, cherry tomato, onion, avocado, cheese
·   green peas, corn, black beans, onion, tomato, avocado, cilantro, and fresh lime juice
·   garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomato, feta with mixed greens and a vinaigrette
·   BLT – bacon, lettuce, tomato.
·   Beet(really!), goat cheese or non dairy cheese, pecans with balsamic vinaigrette

Ready to Go Lunches
·   Picnic To Go
·   Frozen “burritos”
·    
·    

Things to “throw” in lunches
·   Beanitos
·   Fruitabu
·   Qwackers
·   Glutino pretzels
·    


Miscellaneous Ideas
·   Freeze juice boxes and coconut milk boxes, use as a freezer pack.  They will unthaw by lunch.  Shake well.
·   Use an apple slicer to cut an apple.  Cut most of the way through.  Keep together and put in a baggie.
·   Get Bento boxes, plastic ware boxes and make lunch fun.  Little containers, lots of choices
·   Tell your children to bring home what they don’t eat.  You can then adjust for their tastes and appetites.
·   Keep a box on your shelf stocked with a variety of grab and go things: fruit, bars, chip bags, treats.  Same with the refrigerator, keep baggies of: washed and cut veggies/ fruits, yogurts, dips etc.
·   

No comments:

Post a Comment