Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Updated Bread~ version 2.0 (oh yummy!)

If you are enjoying the series on Ancient Grains, here is an updated version of my bread recipe, using my favorite ancient grain~ TEFF!



My Bread Recipe Version 2.0
Dry ingredients
2 cups superfine brown rice flour (Authentic  Foods)
1 cups tapioca flour (bob's red mill)
1 cup Maskal Teff brown or ivory flour
2 TBSP flax meal
2 TBSP rice bran
1/4 cup sugar (I use cane sugar from Trader Joe's, coconut sugar works well too)
4 tsp. Guar gum (don't skip this!)
2/3 cup DariFree milk substitute~ use in powdered form... (it is a powdered dairy free milk that is potato based)
1 1/2 tsp salt (I use sea salt or real salt)

To make bread:
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees
*Heat one cup of water to 110 degrees, add 2 tsp sugar, 4 tsp yeast, and  let it sit 5 minutes, ~meanwhile~
*Mix dry ingredients
Add:
*4 TBSP. oil (I use olive oil, coconut or safflower) or use your allergen free butter substitute of choice
*1 tsp apple cider vinegar
*1 cup water room temp
*3 eggs (or use egg replacer ~ 4tsp of the dry powder plus an extra 1/4 cup water)
Add in the yeast mixture and beat at medium for 2-4 minutes.  Add water if too stiff.  If too thin add rice flour or more rice bran.  Should be thicker then cake batter but not as firm as regular bread dough. 

Grease hands really well, it is very sticky.  Keep some palm shortening close by so that as your hands get sticky you can grab some more.   To rise the bread...Place bread on top of stove, cover with towel, let rise 30 minutes.  I drape the towel so that the heat vent from my stove blows under the towel and over my bread.  Or let it rise inside your microwave with hot water in a pan.  Cook in oven for 55-65 minutes for a loaf of bread.  For 4 mini loaves I cook mine for about 45-50 minutes.  This bread seems to require longer cooking time then the original version.




No comments:

Post a Comment