Sunday, May 29, 2011

Manuka Honey

I don't remember where I actually first read about it, but I heard about this strange honey called Manuka Honey.  I believe the article I read actually stated that some hospitals use it in multiple ways to fight infections, such as MRSA, apply to burns, and in bandages.  When I read this, I thought, "What IS this stuff?" and I had to find out more.

A simple explanation is that Manuka Honey is the honey of bees that pollinate the Manuka Bush (aka...Leptospermum scoparium a small tree that is native to New Zealand.)  It is high in antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral etc, etc properties.

Here are some facts I have gathered simply by googling the honey.  You want to look for an active honey rated on the UMF scale.  The higher the rating, the higher the antibacterial qualities.  Manuka honey kills bacteria.  The osmotic pressure that comes from the honey (naturally occurring) removes the water from the bacteria.  Then they begin to shrivel and die.  Because of the nature of the honey it creates a natural barrier which germs such as bacteria can't pass.  A huge plus is that the sticky honey keeps bandages from sticking to a wound/blood.  Manuka is also an anti-inflammatory agent.  Manuka mixed with water turns its glucose into an active hydrogen peroxide that is a antibacterial powerhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment