Thursday, March 15, 2012

Everything is BETTER with Chocolate



My boys aren't super big Larabar fans.  Which bums me out.  The bars are packed with nutrition.  The dates (which are the basic base of the bars) are sweet but ubber healthy.  A date contains only 23 calories and are loaded with carbs.  They have NO cholesterol, are high in fiber (who doesn't need more fiber, right?) and contain nutrients like Maganese, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Potssium, Magnesium and Calcium (32 mg per serving!!!).  They are great pre and post workout too.  Other important things they contain are vitamens such at A1, B1, B2, B3, B5, C.  There are also over 20 different amino acids which our bodies need.  Amino acids to things like regulate blood sugar, help with digestion/assimiltation of carbs, and regultate fatty acids.  Don't you love dates even more now?!?!?  Plus, they have such sugary, brown sugar taste that I love!

And I haven't even gotten started on the benefits of the nuts used!  Or the cinnamon!  Or any of the other ingredients!

Ingredients:
1 cups walnuts (I think cashews would be to die for, but all I had was walnuts on hand)
1 1/2 cup pitted dates
4 TBSP Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa powder (I used regular, but dark chocolate would be yummy too!)
1 tsp Frontier vanilla
1/4 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)

I used my Ninja to whip up this bit of heaven.  The pulsing feature worked great!  I was happy with the consistency of these.  Press in to a bar pan to thickness desired.  Refrigerate and cut.  This recipe should make about 6 bars the size of regular Larabars.  Wrap in parchment paper or put in a sealed glass container.  Keep refrigerated.

I tried this chocolate version entice my boys to give them a whirl.  They passed my taste test... how about yours?

2 comments:

  1. Those do sound good! Could I substitute Vanilla extract for Frontier vanilla, raisins for dates? That is what I have in the house right now. I believe my hubby would love these! Thanks for posting delicious healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any vanilla will work, Frontier is gluten free. I don't think raisins would be sweet enough, but you could replace a portion with them. The second time I made them, I sprinkled chocolate chips on them and added a bit more salt. YUM! If you do try the raisins, let me know. I would love to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete