Sunday, March 25, 2012

Manna~ God's Provision

As we get nearer and nearer to my oldest's birthday, I realize, how fast time is going.  My life is consumed with being a mom.  Its my job and calling in this stage in my life.  I also realize how little time left I have to impress upon my children the values and faith I wish them to have.  As I have said before, I do know they are on loan from God and He loves them even more then I can possibly love them, but that also increases my desire to raise them "right," (for the lack of a better word.)

As I was doing my devotional this morning, I was reading about manna.  For those of you who may not know the story, God lead the Israelites out of Egypt, away from slavery.  Then for 40 years (I can't even fathom this!) He lead them wandering around the Sinai desert.  They were utterly dependent on Him for food (this is where the manna comes into play), water, and meat (quail).  God knew that self-sufficiency for them would draw them away from Him, rather then to Him.  

As a parent, I think when our children do certain things it is humbling to the point that we need utter dependence on God.  We are on our knees praying that they wouldn't do this thing, or that they would do this thing...  Realizing that reading the Bible and praying daily is our manna.  Our complete sustenance.  To raise my children "right" I need manna to sustain and guide me.  I need that total dependence on the One who created me.  I like (ahem!) control.  I like to hold tight to that sense of being in control.  However, depending on God for my children is necessary.  I need to release them to God's control. I need to trust my children to God each morning, He knows what He is doing!  Way better then I do.

Exodus 16:4

New International Version (NIV)
 4 Then the LORD said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm just starting to come to realize how much more God can love them than I can. Trusting him with me was one thing, but trusting him with my kids is harder than it should have been for me. It's a work in progress, but I know by Gods grace I will get there.

    ReplyDelete