Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I was Scared, but I Got Over It!

How many of you grew up eating beans?  I didn't, nor did my dearest.  It doesn't help that I have a bit of squeamishness about the mushy texture of beans.  It could be that I have only eaten canned beans, where as, dry beans soaked and cooked at home are a lot less mushy. 

I have been scared at trying to cook beans at home and, well, that my family might not eat them.  But seeing the price difference between canned and dry beans, I felt I finally had to give it a go.

I have been trying to figure out more meatless meals while keeping the meal balanced with protein, so beans seemed like the most likely route to make a nutritious/balanced meal that is meatless.  Also, I had a couple people to tell me to try this or that recipe....  Remember, I am a recipe junkie?  I have a great friend whose recipes I always love, who keeps giving me black bean recipes to try.  Also, the two recipes recommended to me lately by various people are black bean brownies and black bean burgers by various.  Both were said to be out of this world, so I figured black beans (aka turtle beans) would be a good place to start.

I followed this tutorial on soaking and cooking beans by Wardeh on GNOWFGLINS.  I searched all over the web and this is the BEST one I found.  Easiest to do, easiest to understand.

Here are some photos of my attempt.


rinsing the beans





No comments:

Post a Comment