Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cannellini Bean Meatballs


I love a good meatball.  Yes I do.  Smothered in tomato sauce, in spaghetti or on a bun.  I saw this recipe and since my new resolution has been to focus on more meatless meals, I thought I'd give a whirl.  I adapted it to fit our dietary needs.

Adapted from the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
  Ingredients
  2 cups Cannellini Beans cooked
  1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
  2 tsp. onion powder
  2 cloves garlic, minced
  1 TBSP dried parsley
  1 ½ tsp dried oregano
  1 egg
  ½ cup dried GF breadcrumbs
  ½ tsp kosher salt
  ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  3 cups spaghetti sauce (your favorite kind)
  Parmesan cheese for grating (Eat in the Raw parma for a dairy free option)

  Method
  Cook your GF spaghetti, rinse with cold water and set aside
  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
   Thoroughly coat a large baking sheet with Spectrum Shortening
  In the bowl of a food processor, combine beans and dried tomatoes. 
  Pulse until chopped, but not smoothly pureed.(although, you can if you like!)
  Scrap out of blender and combine with onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper until well combined, in a medium bowl
  Using a spoon, scoop a portion of the bean mixture, form “meatballs” by rolling between the palms of your hands (I suggest greasing hands) . Place the “meatballs” on the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
  Bake until the meatballs are firm to the touch and have developed a light golden brown coating, 15 to 25 minutes depending on the size you make them.
  In a large saucepan, heat you favorite spaghetti sauce over medium heat until simmering. Add “meatballs” and stir to coat. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes, add in pasta to warm.
  Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

(My boys loved these so much, even the grown-up boy, that I made a triple batch and froze them for easy meals!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment